Robert L. (Bob) Hamilton, Esq. served the Florida Association of Code Enforcement for 26 years as volunteer general legal counsel and as a course developer (Legal Aspects, Legal Issues) and instructor. Bob refused to accept payment for his council, and each year the Board of Directors would present him with a gift thanking him for that years’ service to our Association.
In lieu of a salary or even gifts, Bob requested that F.A.C.E. set up a scholarship fund for a member to attend the annual training conference. The scholarship provides one conference attendee a full scholarship, which includes hotel accommodations, to the next annual training conference. All registered conference attendees are automatically entered into the annual drawing held during the conference each year.
Along with donating his time to F. A. C. E., Bob also served as an adjunct professor for Columbia University and worked tirelessly for the Orlando Science Center. Prior to that Bob served in the military, as a police officer, and as a Judge for the City of Orlando, where he earned the nickname "Hangman". When he retired (for the fourth time!), F. A. C. E. honored Bob at the 2016 Conference by naming a star after him. On June 23, 2021, Bob lost his battle with cancer. As is his style, he requested no obituary or service in his name. In remembrance, F. A. C. E. chose to plant a grove of trees as a living tribute to his legacy of service to others. His service will continue on through the F.A.C.E. annual scholarship in his name.
Previous winners include:
- Adam Isrow, Hernando County for the 2021 Conference
- Nickole Lasher, Marion County for the 2020 Conference
- Benjamin Plourd, Collier County for the 2019 Conference
- Samantha Norris, City of Gainesville for the 2018 Conference
- Daniel Garcia, City of Daytona Beach for the 2017 Conference
- John Markee, City of Atlantic Beach for the 2016 Conference
- The winning recipient for the 2015 Conference did not attend
- Rick Berni, Town of Davie for the 2014 Conference
- Charles Boatwright, Polk County for the 2013 Conference
- Glenda Porter - Mink, St. Johns County for the 2012 Conference
- Ken Jackson, Palm Beach County for the 2011 Conference
- Tom Gravagna, Charlotte County for the 2010 Conference
- Marante Ayanidys, Town of Bay Harbor Islands for the 2009 Conference
- Pete Jensen, City of Largo for the 2008 Conference
- Milton Tinis, Lake County for the 2007 Conference
- James Acosta, St. Johns County for the 2006 Conference
- Karen Matches, Hillsborough County for the 2005 Conference